sabato 9 maggio 2009

Saturday, May 9th 2009 @ 11pm Blog #8


Saturday, May 9th 2009 @ 11pm
Blog #8

Today I stepped back into history with my visit to Pompei. I’ve always wanted to see it for myself, and it was even more interesting than I thought. The city was over 60 acres in size, and not all of it has even been excavated because people starting building on top of it many years ago without realizing what was underneath. I learned that the people of Pompei had a Napolitano complex, and therefore worshiped male sexual parts (which are depicted on every street corner and art). Many penises equal a lot of laughs.
I never realized how complex the civilization was until I walked the streets myself. It was very surreal in that many modern aspects of urban planning such as a grid system, drainage, centers and squares were already being developed thousands of years ago. I think the weirdest part for me was seeing the victims covered in ash, especially one of a mother and child huddled together, and then eerily looking up to see Vesuvio in the horizon.
Tonight we were suppose to go to the discoteca with the boys I’ve been hanging out with, but there were some problems last night, so let’s just say that some people are on ‘probation’. Instead, I went over to Prof. Maiellaro’s house for dinner and played Legos with Alessandro. Playing with him reminds me of Christian a lot, so it makes me feel good inside so I don’t get homesick. Tomorrow is suppose to be high in the 80s so I am definitely taking the bus to go to a better beach that’s 15 minutes away.

(The photo is of Beth, Cara, Maria and me when we were out last night).

1 commento:

  1. that is so sweet that you have another "nephew" over there...he asks about you daily - no lie!!!

    RispondiElimina